I feel like I left you all hanging after my daily updates on my washing machine saga. Work has been crazy busy, and combined with cleaning, planning and doing a few things for the various weddings I’m attending for the rest of the year (three of them!), blogging has not been in the cards. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things again!
So the short version of my story is that the washing machine is finally fixed.
The parts finally came in, and I got a call from the repair company. When they wanted to schedule an appointment, I told them that I wanted the same guy as the last appointment, since he seemed to be the only one who knew what he was doing. Fortunately, that worked out.
He came and took apart the machine again:
Lovely, isn’t it?
He put in a new pressure sensor (down below), which seemed to be what the problem was. Basically, the washing machine wasn’t sensing that it was full, so even once the cycle started to agitate, it would continue to fill the basin. And the result was water everywhere.
He also replaced the load dial, which is how I set the load to small, medium or large. The large cycle wasn’t working at all, and he wasn’t sure if this was having an impact or not, so I he erred on the side of caution.
Once it was done, he finally tested the heck out of it – not like the first guy. He tested every cycle size, ran through a full cycle, and there was NO water. I wasn’t convinced, so he said I should stay home to run the next couple of loads to be sure, but that he was 100% sure that it was fixed.
After cleaning out some of the dust, he put it all back together, and miracle of miracles, it works. No leaking.
The other guys had mentioned to me that there was a lot of lint built up in the dryer itself – you may remember that I’d replaced the hose from the back – and although I always remove the lint screen and clean it after every load in the dryer, I took a look and saw that he was right (about that anyway). So I went crazy with the vacuum and cleaned that all out, and the washer and dryer have been working like gangbusters. I do have to leave the bathroom door open now when I’m running a load though because it gets a little steamy in there between the dryer and washer (if I’m doing a load in hot water).
I’m just glad that it works.
But that’s not entirely the end of my saga. I’m really not happy with the way that it was resolved. When I talked to the tech (the guy who ultimately fixed it), he said that if the first guy had run just a couple more tests when he came out initially, he would have realized that it wasn’t the timer that wasn’t working. So all of this headache might have been avoided if that guy had just done his job. It took five visits to get this fixed, which is just ridiculous. So I wrote a letter outlining the issue in great detail and sent it off to the appliance repair company. We’ll see how they decide to resolve it.