One of the things that’s bugged me is the brass trim on my fireplace. It’s not horrible, but it does date the fireplace.
I didn’t think there was much I could do about it, but several months ago, I saw them paint a fireplace surround like this on a home improvement show. Apparently, there’s a heat resistant paint that you can use – I was really excited to hear that and decided I’d try it on my own fireplace!
When I was last at Lowes, I found the heat resistant paint in black and brought it home. I’m still working on finishing it, but I’ll show you how I’ve started off!
I started by taping off the glass.
Next, I read the can of paint and learned that I should first sand the surface to be painted if it was shiny, so I did that next.
The part of the can I should have read was that this is an oil-based paint that needed brush cleaner, not just soap and water. If I’d known that, I would have picked some up when I got the paint. Instead, I found out the hard way! I also learned that oil-based paint really doesn’t come off of your hands very easily either. But I did get one coat done.
The smell is quite intense, so I recommend making sure you can open some windows if you’re going to do this. I had to open even the windows downstairs that don’t have screens, just because I was feeling a bit lightheaded from the fumes! Even my pup decided to sleep outside for a few hours to get away from it! So it’s good to be prepared.
So here’s the first coat!
I let it dry for a few days (because I was away for the weekend) and then did two coats on Sunday afternoon and evening. Because the surround of the fireplace was also a bit rough looking, I painted that too. That will only need one coat, and the surround should be be done now as well. Once it’s dry, I’ll remove the painters tape and take some more photos!
- Get latex gloves to wear – or even longer gloves. It makes clean-up MUCH easier.
- Get brush cleaner. When you use the brush cleaner, use it outside. The fumes are even more harmful than that of the paint.
- If you want to use your brush without cleaning it, put it in a plastic bag to keep it soft until you’re ready to use it again.
- Put down newspaper – the paint is especially drippy, and it may ruin your hearth if you don’t protect it.